Thursday, April 24, 2008

Let's Try This Again

I am relaying a desperate plea for female hockey players ready to travel down to College Station, it's like this:

Elizabeth Braun elizabethbraun@gmail.com

Elizabeth will be the coordinator for this event.
The A & M skate will be in College Station on April 26th. I believe the exact time is 6:50p. It will be a game with refs.
Since the A & M group is pretty new, some of our top players going (Sue, Julie, Heather and Stephanie) will need to play to have fun and not overpower them. We are there to help the Aggie program grow.
PLEASE Reply and let us know if you can still go, and if you know anyone else novice or mid-range that wants to join.
Elizabeth Braun elizabethbraun@gmail.com

Vicki Krone
www.leaguelineup.com/rwhl

If you need a phone number, Send me an e-mail. Pass it along.

"New Team" draws the double header for this week's festivities
7:00
Ice Holes(1-0-0) v. Spiders (1-0-0)
7:30
Warriors (0-1-0) v. Brewzers (0-1-0)
8:15
Patriots (1-0-0) v. DFW Titans (1-0-0)
8:45
"New Team" (0-1-0) v. Stickmen (0-1-0)
9:30
Silverwings (1-1-0) v. Grave Diggers (0-1-0)
10:00
"New Team" (0-1-0) v. Snipers (1-0-0)
10:45
Blue Devils (1-0-0) v. Privateers (1-0-0)
11:15
Komets (0-1-0) v. Puckers (0-1-0)

Still waiting on that schedule, Yockey...

With his suspension keeping him away from the rink, has Casey J. been hard at work in another career?

I just saw the movie this last weekend, I loved it.

Speaking of movies,
Everyone knows that the ending can often make or break a movie. I thought that the ending for "No Country for Old Men" was great, not everyone liked it.

The ending of your standard heist film is critical to making the movie a classic, one that you would watch over and over again. I think that everyone liked "Ocean's Eleven", I still haven't seen the original (with Dean Martin), but after watching 12 and 13 I'm all washed-up on Ocean movies. Trying to fulfill the public's cries for more heist movies they did another remake, this time it was Michael Cain's vehicle, "The Italian Job" (Cain's version helped popularize the original Mini, Wahlburg's was more or less a commercial for the new Mini, as I understand it) I never saw either one. Marky Mark was also in a remake of another one of my favorite heist movies "Charade" (with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn) renamed "The Truth About Charlie". You know, I just never really got sold on Mark Wahlburg, I didn't see his version, how could anyone compete with Cary Grant?

Sure I never saw the great Michael Cain in "The Italian Job", and he is great, but if "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" fits the requirements for a heist film then it must be near the top.

One of the classic picks for great heist movies has got to be "The Sting". Redford, Newman, and a half a million ice cream trucks can't be wrong. And if you like the more modern masters of acting how about Deniro and Norton in "The Score" (they do go ahead and throw in Marlon Brando, and he was old!)

A possible candidate for great heist movie would be "The Prestige". Again with Michael Cain (in a lesser role) and also with Superman and Wolverine (yeah, it's awesome).

But if you ask me this is how it breaks down:

5. Ocean's Eleven








4. Fight Club








3. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (it's my list!)






2. The Usual Suspects







1. Reservoir Dogs
(I still get a chill when that song comes up on shuffle...)





It seems to me that the heist movie has been tapped out for the time being, but of course Hollywood is still beating that horse. I love Kevin Spacey, but I will not be going to see "21". I am generally out on movies that tout themselves as based on actual events. But, it's all about the ending, so maybe Hollywood has another twist for one of its favorite genres, still in the works.

bcIII

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Was fight club an actual heist film? I mean the movie was brilliant, but does it fall under that category? The plot of the movie seemed to want to destroy economics than actually steal it.

bac

Anonymous said...

Remember, UT RULES!

Anonymous said...

Why was the comment erased by the blog captain? What was said?

bcIII said...

I removed the first comment because it was SPAM. A link to an "undesirable" site of desire.

Anonymous said...

I played in the game against A&M this weekend and wanted to let u guys know that we beat them 6-2 saturday night and 3-2 this morning.