Saturday, March 15, 2008

Saving Daylight With Late Night Hockey

First of all:

Love beard talk (please see post below, good job BAC) I am seriously considering the cultivation of facial follicitude, I don't think it can help the Stars but how can it hurt?

Missed my regularly scheduled mid-week post so let me put this on the record.
10:15 Snipers 3, Brewzers 0
10:15 Iceholes 5, Puckers 2
11:30 Stickmen 2, Warriors 1
11:30 Gravediggers 2, Komets 1
12:45 ATM 2, Spiders 1
12:45 Pats 3, Blue Devils 1

Onto...

This week was all about dragging it out into the light of daylight savings. A concept conceived by constitutional congress member Benjamin Franklin as a means to conserve tallow and whale oil. Even in his time it's effectiveness was controversial. After the expansion South and West into the harsher summers of those regions and the development of Air Conditioning (people lived without it?) Energy costs were not wrapped up in lights but in climate control. This hypothesis was put to the test when the state of Indiana finally approved legislation accepting, uniformly, the switch to DST across the state. Indiana, about one eighth the size of Texas, is a very difficult state to tell time in as it straddles the central and eastern time zones and before 2005 it was even more convoluted. 77 of Indiana's 92 counties are in the Eastern Time Zone and stay on standard time year round, except for two counties adjacent to Cincinnati and Louisville. It makes my head spin. Arizona is the lone hold out in the contiguous 48, Hawaii doesn't bother to switch either, but who worries about time in Hawaii? Canada has one unusual province, Newfoundland (named for the giant dogs ridden by the nomadic aboriginals before westerners hunted them to extinction) has a half-hour time zone. This must be the age of globalization because nobody seemed to care much about anyone more than a couple hundred miles from them in the past. To return to my point, after Indiana's institution of DST in these previously all standard all the time zones, energy costs have actually gone up.

I know that I don't care very much for anyone more than a couple hundred miles from me, but I am obligated to maintain at least a little decorum with those a few hundred feet from me. That is why DST means landscaping around my house. Who doesn't look forward to returning home to a wife holding a shovel and standing in a lawn that has been neglected for almost six months? I love it! Mowing, tilling, spreading, planting, more than just transitive verbs, a lifestyle. The dirt under my fingernails is substantial enough to create a cute little soap dish planter in my shower. But I can't complain too much, it does offer alot of team-building time for me and the family. As the CEO of Jo-Joco setting up an environment that my subordinates can enjoy and flourish in is essential to my retirement. My son is showing signs of upper management already, by next quarter I expect him to be assuming the role of assistant mower manager.

So if cooling costs are the impetus (however inaccurate) behind maintaining the DST, then perhaps that is also the reason for holding games from 10:15 pm-1:30 am? It seems to be the only thing that follows some sort of logic. Lights are cheaper than ice. See you tomorrow, today!

bcIII

P.S. Hey guys, let's all watch that whale oil consumption this year, okay?

3 comments:

littleA said...

:'( I'm 330 miles from you, jon. That's more than a couple of hundred.

bcIII said...

dem's da brakes, sis

Anonymous said...

Ellis,

Perhaps you are a bit too cerebral to be running the blog. I am worried that reading the blog might raise the intelligence level of the I league so much so that it becomes even more competitive than it is today. Therefore, could you please dumb down the articles and make sure we learn absolutely nothing when we click this link.

:-)