Saturday, January 12, 2008

HEY! HO! LET'S GO!

Well the off-season is over, time to head to training camp and make ready for the new session. The (week) long off-season was pretty good to me, I should be showing up only a couple of pounds over my playing weight, and i have been keeping up with my off ice training while away from the rink, even getting in a pick-up game. Our first (and only) practice this session is tonight and I am geeked! Our team is supposed to have five or so fresh faces, true "I-leaguers", and this is great. A lot of people like to discuss the level of play in Euless on Saturday nights, and everyone has their own unique opinion. I think that while the overall level of play may not be "I" that the majority of us have not lost sight of the goal of I-league as I see it: to create a welcoming, fun environment for people of all ages and skills to learn about and play the great game of hockey.

I rarely hear the negative word about the new player that shows up at our doorstep, in fact, I'm often amazed at the reception of the guy who in his/her own eyes cost the team the game. Up in the crossbar all is forgiven. I heard a story from one of our now long time players that, although I have not yet hoisted a keg, gave me a feeling that I think would rival any championship lap around the rink.

It seems that when this player was just starting to play here in Euless that she made a huge mistake in a game that, I think resulted in a goal, and she was very down on herself. I really didn't think it was a big deal and told her so,"It's only a game, it's not worth it if you're not having fun" I had said. and I thought that it was just one of those passing remarks. she told me that it reassured her and put her in the mindset to grow and above all have fun in our league. It was amazing to think that just one little positive word could make an impact on someone that I now consider a good player and friend.

So if you're at practice tonight or not, just remember that all the newbs are looking to you and you are the ambassador of the game. Have fun, make sure those around you are having fun, too.

This is a great, balanced, inclusive league and everyone should make sure that Yockey knows it. Don't shun the new player, in a couple of short sessions they may be the one that sends you the sweet assist for the keg.

All right, I'm off my soap box...

9:00- Komets, Puckers, Brewzers
9:30- Gravediggers, Blue Devils
10:30- Stickmen, Snipers
10:45- Warriors, Iceholes
11:45!- Spiders, Patriots

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I didn't receive a real warm welcome when I first started over a year ago. I had no idea what I was doing and some of the other veteran players didn't seem to like it at times. I still barely know what I'm doing now but my teammates are good about it and still try and help.

Anonymous said...

that's great, i hope that more players will make an effort to help the rookies in the sessions to come. i've been playing for about seven years now and we need new blood out there as guys like me get older. keep your stick on the ice!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Jon. One of the best ever.

BC

Anonymous said...

and like i have always said....winning a fight in the i league is like winning a race in the special olympics. even if you win, you are still retarded.

sirkis

Anonymous said...

that's right, sirkis, you are an i-league champ, and still a retard!

Anonymous said...

Sirkus, is that the reason you beat-up women in the I-league, cause your retarded?

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty new and have a question. Does anyone know where I can go and practice? There seems to not to be any stick and puck times and I went to a few of the pickup games and watched and the people there are too good for my skill level. I thought I would just be a pylon out there everyone would just skate around.

Anonymous said...

anonymous:

There are stick and puck times almost every weekday morning at Polar Ice (Grapevine Mills Mall) and several mornings a week (7 a.m.) at the Farmers Branch DPSC. Check the schedule. Also, there's lots of open hockey time (stick and puck) at NYTEX. All the links are on this website. You have the right idea: The more ice time you get, the better you are. There is no substitute for being on your skates. And, when you get a little better, jump into those pickup games. Yes, you'll be the slowest guy out there, and you'll be a turnover machine, but we don't mind. We cheer on the guys who have guts to jump out on the ice. Playing with better-skilled guys is how you improve. Try to emulate them, and you get better. That's what I do.

Good luck.

Mgnat said...

Just my 4 cents (inflation) but this blog is very-much back on track, keep up the good work!

Wish I'd read sooner, Warriors and the new Army of The 12 Monkeys actually will practice next week, 9:30.

We're bringing plenty of new skaters to the game, and always-always show the fun-side. Anybody in our bunch that gets too serious... typically is asked to enjoy their brand of play with another team.
Have a great night all, here's hoping for a great upcoming 11 games, starting on the 29th.
- Mitch

Anonymous said...

Hey Stone Cold - looks like you aren't touching Mark's hair. Not even close.

The Saints own the Cowboys in playoff success in the last 12 years.

Anonymous said...

Stone Cold - you there?

Anonymous said...

For the newbie that asked, I second the Stick and Puck sessions at Polar Ice if you want time to work on your game in private. Unlike NYTex, the Polar Ice Stick and Puck sessions will not turn into a pickup game run by high school kids (and younger). The only problem at Polar Ice, is that the stick times can get crowded with personal trainers working with clients. But, everyone is cool and willing to share the ice.

Anonymous said...

I think most people have forgotten what I league is about. There was a previous post that flat out told a team that could be a keg contender if they got rid of their "lessor players". Not really the spirit of I league in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Screw lessor players and screw this sappy post. Someone has been watching to much Oprah.

It's Ringer time in Texas!!!

By the way....Cowboys suck!