Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Euless-GV game thrives


Way, way back in the fall of 2005, when I was just learning to stand up on skates, I just couldn't get enough hockey. I went to Stars games, I bought the Center Ice package. I drove my wife nuts. And, I joined not one but three I-league programs. Those were the days.

Anyway, we were coming up to the end of seasons in both the Euless and Grapevine leagues. I approached the coordinator in GV (Steve Kaeppel) and suggested a Death Match. I would bring over a bunch of I-leaguers from Euless and play their bunch. He agreed, and we killed 'em. Then, a few months later, we killed 'em again. That image above is from the T-shirt I had made for the winners in that March 2006 game. I wrote about it here.

Well, the game caught on despite the inequity. (Grapevine is a true I-league, for those of you who don't know. It's a better place to learn the fundamentals, IMO. The guy who runs the show at The Parks also does a nice job of coaching.)

We at Euless have mostly kicked their butts, but they've won one or two, I think. At some point, the Komets became the defacto Euless representative. Komets coordinator Bruce Frankel made a trophy, the Heineken Kup, that you'll see behind the bar in Euless.

I have long since moved on, but I was surprised recently when Wil Dobson emailed me with his dispatch on the latest game. I told him I'd repost his report, but I'll just link to it. He's got pictures there, too.

Kudos to Wil for keeping the tradition alive.

BC

No comments: