Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgivings




In the spirit of the season, I thought I might review some of the things that I am thankful for. . .

1. I am thankful that I discovered and, debatably, learned to play hockey before I got to old and out of shape to enjoy it. Several years ago I was working with Brandt Eng. when they won the contract to build a couple of ice rinks for the Dallas Stars organization. I worked extensively at the site in Euless and became infatuated with every aspect of the game. After the completion of the job, I moved to the Barnett plaza tower and during my lunch break I would often practice skating at the Tandy Center rink. I met Cody Bateman, who managed the rink there, he has since moved on to manage the AAC ice. Good Times!

2. I am thankful for the drop in the price of gas. The trip from Burleson to Euless was becoming quite a drain on my budget. Since this is supposed to be a positive, thankful type column, I won't get into what gas prices may be masking. . . or the rest of the economic issues buffeting us about. . . I have a job.

Thank you Gas!

3. I am thankful for pumpkin pie. I could easily eat the largest pumpkin pie available, and now the public demand for pumpkin has spawned an entire pumpkin food group. . . bread, shakes, lattes, ice cream, rolls, cookiez wwqefg80uh ftg sorry, wiping the slobber off my keyboard.

4. I am thankful for the BCS.

5. I am thankful for my lovely wife, she is so understanding of my obsessive compulsive tendencies. Whether it is hockey or running or music or National Geographic collections, she rarely complains. I love her, so much!

6. Petroleum Jelly. Running for a long time tends to produce some very uncomfortable chaffing, in very sensitive spots.

7. I am thankful for the opportunity to write this column, and to have a great group of friends like all of you to share my tiny thoughts with, and play a great game with, and even have a drink with every once in a while.

8. I am thankful that the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade finally made the viewing for adults just a bit more entertaining. . . I got Rick rolled.

Enjoy your time with the family, if you have the chance, we'll see you again whenever the schedule ultimately says.

bciii


The HCS rankings (only one computer on this poll)

TOP 15

1. M Ice Bats, 10 pts
2. M Komets, 9 pts
3. M Blue Devils, 8 pts
4. M Patriots, 8 pts
5. M DFW Titans, 6 pts
6. M Stickmen, 5 pts
7. m Privateers, 10 pts
8. m Lone Star Imports, 10 pts
9. M Brewzers, 5 pts
10. M Snipers, 3 pts
11. m Puckers, 8 pts
12. m Whalers, 8 pts
13. m Chiefs, 6 pts
14. m Silver Wings, 5 pts
15. m Grave Diggers, 2 pts


Honorable mention to Team Euless (zero points)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obamateers rule!!

Outlaws #15

Anonymous said...

I think some of your teams are underrated.

littleA said...

you're a douche bag. no one is thankful for the BCS.

Anonymous said...

I hate the BCS! My horns just got screwed!

Anonymous said...

horns screwed themselves by dropping an interception and not making a takle.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anon, I don't disagree with what you said. If we had the pick, we would be big 12 south champs. We beat OU this year and we should be the champs.

The real acronym for BCS is:

B - Bullshit
C - Communist
S - Society

Anonymous said...

John needs nip guards.