Monday, June 09, 2008

The End is Near

DFW Titans(4-2-1) 3, Patriots(6-1-0) 0

The Pats suffer their first loss of the session, and in dramatic fashion. Turn-overs in the slot turn into goals for the Titans in the first period, both credited to "Big" Mac Miller (I think that's a mistake on pointstreak, help me out). Then in the second, Patriot, Greg Helenbrook, cuts out the middle man and rifles a pass off the back of Ellis' leg directly into the goal . . . Chris Holder receives the credit for this one on the scoresheet. At the other end of the ice, Troy Elliot turns away the best the Pats can muster holding onto a shut-out on 26 shots.

Puckers(4-3-0) 5, Grave Diggers(2-4-1) 0

Patrick Donaghue collects a shut-out against a Diggers team that plays without a goalie. Due to scheduling conflicts, and poor team management, the Diggers are without a netminder for the night but keep the Puckers off the scoreboard for the first half of the game (is there any truth to the rumor that Stone Cold coached this little '08 miracle?). Kevin Luekenhoff breaks the plane first for the Puckers at nearly eight minutes through the second followed by Kevin Kemp (are you kidding me?), and Steve Niekamp. The third is again all Puckers as they demonstrate their dominance with goals from Dusty Smith and Kevin Kemp (again). Donaghue makes twenty saves.

Blue Devils(6-1-0) 2, Warriors(2-4-1) 1

Blue Devils are streaking into the final games. In the opening frame Devil, Dan Lowery cuts to the goal and one times the John Lloyd pass five hole for the first goal. They score again in the second when Zoll finds the hole. In the third it's the Warriors' Danny Grimes who makes the most of a Blue Devil mistake and breathes life into the Warrior offense. A couple of minutes later, they pull their goalie and . . . nothing comes together. Fill-in goalie David Blubaugh rubs salt in Ellis' wound with another face to face win, saving 26 of 27 . . . but fails to secure the shut-out.

Komets(3-4-0) 3, Brewzers(4-3-0) 2

In a tight game the Komets prove themselves to still be under .500. Scottie Baldree nets one for the Komets only to end up even stevens before the first ended when Josh Sutton beats Brent Bryant single handed. The second would hold no answers for either team, but early in the third Rich Duval wrestles back the Komets lead. Mike Gallagher scores another to ice the game. However just thirty seconds later Nidal Al Jabri pulls the Brewzers within one . . . four minutes would not be enough time to get the tieing goal. The Brewzers and the Komets look alot like different sides of the same coin.

Privateers(5-2-0) 8!, Snipers(3-4-0) 0

Some are calling for a forfeit, I say Nate Hodges had no impact on this game, or any other he played in, and the Brewzers beat this roster last week so what kind of complaint can you launch? Furthermore, in the first period these teams were locked in a scoreless tussle with no team showing the upper hand. In the second, things started to come undone for the Snipers, it is no surprise to anyone that the Privateers are a younger team (which proved to be their weakness last week) and likely have more stamina than the Snipers, but the real problem may be that unlike their sister squad the Brewzers, the Snipers have a less mature attitude. I think that this is why the Privateers were able to snowball and score more in this game than any other so far. As I was saying, four goals in the second, all Privateers: Cody Payne, Joel Bush, Joel Bush, and Don Hurt. And in the third it was more of the same: Don Kyle, Dan Lowery, Cody Payne, and Joel Bush for the hat trick. I love you all, Brewzers, Snipers, and Privateers alike, but my take maybe you should take it and keep your mouth shut . . . also, what's with all of this handshake skipping business? You blame the refs, you criticize the roster, you blame everything but yourself. If you are so upset with the game then show some real resolve and leave before the buzzer ends the game, instead of wasting everybody's time putting up with you. I bet a lot of people are mad at me now . . .

Iceholes(4-2-0) 3, Chiefs(1-6-1) 1

It looked like the Chiefs were on their way to doubling their win totals for the session with the only goal in the first (Richard Wojcio) but the battle tested Holes pulled together tieing it up in the second with Chris Pringle's goal. Pringle scores again in the third and Joe Picardo manages to get one of his patented shots from the point into the net to put it out of Chief reach. The Chiefs must be feeling pretty bad right now, they have fewer wins than the Grave Diggers. Keep it up Iceholes, the play-offs are just around the corner.

Spiders(2-4-1) 3, Silverwings(4-2-2) 2, OT

My heart is broken. In the first period the Spiders pour it on with goals from Bryan Couture and Bill Wessel, beating Ellis easily. The Wings were granted few opportunities to shoot on tiny Nina Bonifaz but when called upon she showed no shortcomings (remarkable, considering her height). At the other end Ellis was drawing inspiration and then some from her performance causing Spider forwards to audibly, and colorfully voice their frustration. Then it happened, the Silverwings with less than a minute left in regulation finally got one past the Brown Boobie. A time out call from the Wings and the temperature on the rink raised a few degrees (it is the gold rink after all) Nina held them off, Jon crossed his fingers, Nina snagged the rebound with four seconds left on the clock. With no time out left in their bag the Wings adjusted on the fly, Sergio won the face-off and the puck found its way into the open on Corey Howards stick and with a blind heave at the net the score was tied. The Wings' bench erupted and the two teams went to OT. Ellis chokes, Spiders win.

Stickmen(6-1-0) 5, Moose(0-4-1) 1

If the Moose best the Diggers last session of only one win it will be tainted, they had a shorter season to accomplish the feat. In the first the Moose put the Sticks on the powerplay and pay heavily. Val Kuntz drives home the rebound on Graham's penalty, and Jesse Henderson scores on Macha's. Brad Bynum nets another Stickmen goal at even strength then Henderson goes and gives the Moose a chance by committing a tripping minor of his own, the Moose can't execute. Ken Halford scores another goal for the Sticks in the second as they ease off the accelerator, and cruise into the third. While on their heels (and the powerplay), the Sticks allow James Macha to get down the ice and ruin Blubaugh's chance at a shut-out (YES!). The Sticks then proceed to accumulate 10 minutes worth of penalties, but ol' Davey Blubaugh would allow no more. Lynn Young settles down the Stickmen bench with the last goal of the night. Better watch the roughing if you want to win the keg this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have received award nominations from only four teams, let your coordinator know about your concerns and have him or her e-mail me their nominees.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Father's day is this weekend and I won't be at the rink (this means I won't be able to play for even one team). This could be a good thing as my winning percentage in the last two weeks has reached the astounding mark of .143, can a sabbatical save me? But I trust that everyone will have plenty of opportunities to crucify me the following week, hasta luego!

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

3 to 0 sounds about as dramatic as a Michael Bay film.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous post are like a fucking Alfred Hitchcock movie.

bcIII said...

Dramatic in that they were winning every game then they go and have a complete team meltdown and end up getting shut-out

Anonymous said...

nobody will be mad, as you speak truth. if you take the tick out of team, add a ed off, when they read pointstreak. snap.

Anonymous said...

In regards to the Privateer vs. Snipers game...
I don't agree with a forfeit. It was obvious Nate wasn't trying to score in this game. Just out there passing and getting ice time.

"the Snipers have a less mature attitude."

Sorry if I turn into a cry baby after getting pewnD, goal after goal playing defense.

"...but my take maybe you should take it and keep your mouth shut..."

Wow, Ellis. Coulda said grin 'n bare it. But that sounds like, "bite down on this leather while screw you from behind... don't complain about it either." I look forward to 1 point spread games. Not blow-out wins or losses.

Personally, I don't blame the refs. I think they let me get away with quite a bit of roughing. And I didn't bother to shake hands because of a cheapshot repeated cross checks to my back and head by one of their players. Uncalled for, dunno WTF it was for. But next time, face me. Checking from behind repeatedly so I can't turn around or get up is CHICKEN SHIT CRAP. I skipped to handshake to avoid a conflict and suspension... thanks.

bcIII said...

I appreciate your candor, ED.
I love you

Antoine D'Aubernoun said...

Ed, your complaint isn't that the refs allowed roughing/checking, just that some of the illegal contact was from behind? Personally, I'm looking forward to having a league where all the roughing and checking is penalized and we can play a clean, fun game. Which came first, this cheap shot you speak of or your roughing? Also, just curious whether it was you that came over and crowded our bench...that's the guy that was risking the conflict and suspension.

In any case, thanks to most of the Snipers for handling a tough situation with class. I appreciated the game and the handshakes.

Randy...
Privateers #8

Anonymous said...

I'm not even going to touch the who cross checked who in the back of the head dramz, because I saw a fair amount of rough play on both sides, but I just want to make it known that no one on our team even asked Hodges to play. This dude literally came into our locker room in full gear, said he heard we were short (which we were), sat his shit down, and walked out. Conversation in our locker room immediately following:
"isn't that the dude we played against in Duncanville that LOVES break aways?"
"yeah."
"should we let him play?"
"whatever."
He then proceeded to fire slap shots from the face off circle through most of the warm up while I wasn't looking, sat on our bench texting, maybe cleared a few pucks but never racked up any points in one period. Then got kicked off. Never happened to mention that he wasn't supposed to be playing in this league or that he was a coach. So, yeah. Major douchetool move. Oh, and didn't stay for the ten minute discussion with Yockey about potential forfeit, even though he was present for all the screaming for said forfeit on the ice.
Maybe some bad judgement on our part but overall a pretty crappy and inconsiderate move on his.
Moving on, I think it should also be mentioned that the Sniper's Matt Sexton faced something like 45 or more shots and is a total badass.

Anonymous said...

Love you too, Ellis. Look forward to playing D for you again.

Randy,
I admit to playing rough in the 3rd after it was 5-0 (i think). And according to the ref, they didn't call something I did in the corner, which I don't remember specifically. But when I play the body, I don't cross check or hit from behind. Always to get at the puck. When is it ok (#10) to cross-check someone in the back and head after the whistle? No, I was sitting on the bench when that player was at your bench. I'm looking forward to playing clean, fun games too.

Mr. Ed
Snipers #50

Antoine D'Aubernoun said...

I'll second that...Matt's a great guy and a great goalie. I'm sorry his night was so rough.

Randy...
Privateers #8

Antoine D'Aubernoun said...

Ed,

The short answer to your question is that I don't think it's ever OK to cross-check somebody, especially up high, and if that happened, I'm right there with you in saying I don't think it should have. I hope nobody in our league, including our guys, is ever doing shit like that on purpose.

That being said, help keep the games cool with your play too. There's no doubt it's frustrating to be down by a lot, but if people start lashing out or getting a lot more physical (roughing, not just hard play), things just escalate. So, if I lose position, or a guy gets a step on me, or whatever, I just have to resist the urge to take the body -- that's just not the league we play in. Obviously, I think more active reffing would keep things a LOT more friendly and less stressful by not making people feel they have to get frontier justice every time an I-League skater can't stop and crashes into them. :-)

Randy...
Privateers, #8

P.S.-- If you see us upstairs sometime, we'll gladly accept that handshake late. We're all here to have fun with our buds.

Antoine D'Aubernoun said...

Oh, and before one of my teammates jumps in here and calls shenanigans on me, I'll admit that I'm one of those guys that needs the most to work hard to keep my cool during games. If the refs called the games the way I say I'd like them to, I'd probably have 20 minutes of unsportsmanlike this season for my mouth. Tell your guy I'm sorry I called him an "asshat." Hehehe...we're all working on things, right? :-)

Randy...
Privateers, #8

Anonymous said...

Was that cross check in the back of the head incident part of that fight in front of the net that lead to the only penalty of the night? #10 is our Cody, who is incidentally very nice. I don't know if you were the person in question or whether it was a separate event, but someone hit his younger brother and he got wicked pissed and retaliated. Still probably not the best thing to do, but I can say for sure that seeing someone mess with your little brother on the ice is enough to momentarily make you want to murder a bitch.

Anonymous said...

OK I don’t normally post here but wow all comments about the Snipers/Privateers game inspired me.

1st the positive! Privateers great game. you played very well! Ryan and Randy thanks for the positive thoughts. Patrick thanks for picking up my stick for me! It was a tough game for us and we were really out matched. Ed took my arm out in pre game warm ups so I was having trouble with it most of the game! Nate did try to score I know because I stopped him point blank a few times. :) Nate you know we love ya.

I agree with Ed we don’t show up to have our butts handed to us, and sure that may have made a few people upset, but Jon despite your game editorial this game was nowhere close unless you look at only the 1st 5-8 minutes when the shots were 5 to 5 on goal. After that they rattled off 35-40 shots which we could not even answer with one shot on goal... It was a though game for us, but maybe we will bounce back. Ed rocks and he is not a dirty player. If he says someone hit him from behind then I believe it.

As for you Jon I don’t know where you get off writing that crap about our team. Don’t waste our time. You are the one who came into the locker room after the game talking to us asking what was wrong and trying to be all cool about it. If you don’t want to hear us gripe then shut up and say out of our locker room.

I know allot of the Privateers and they are a good group but I got upset, when we are down 7-0 and we take a stupid penalty with less than 2 minutes left, shots are 36-5 whatever and they still try and score, in fact they do with under 4 seconds left on a sweet pass to the open man in front of the net. But come on show some class no need to run up the score. Just my three cents!

Blog Alternate Captain said...

For what its worth. I was approached by Michael Redmond (who also subbed for the teers, and said, hey those guys need some extra players) so ed's right, i wanted extra ice time. Who wouldn't.

Earlier in the year i had played on a team, no one had said anything, nor when i suited up with the BDs. Even gallagher did't care.

So when i was playing, i didn't think any one was gonna get pissed.
Well someone did, I played for one period of a scoreless game, and i left.

And for the record to the privateers, who think im the biggest douche of all time. I had a 30 min conversation with yockey after I left the game while you were still playing.


besides, yockey's quarrel was mostly about unrostered players, if that is the case, teers would also be in jeopardy of a forfeit for brining on Redmond as well who doesnt play for them. Or any other given team who brings a random player from another team.

For what it's worth, sorry guys.

Anonymous said...

Or every team that has a goalie sub in for them, such as Ellis who often pulls triple duty out of necessity. I can't remember a game where there haven't been players from other teams subbing in. In fact, Privateer #59, Dan, played for a team earlier that evening because they were short... so they too should forfeit by that logic.

And having seen the incident with the cross checking very closely, The argument goes both ways. Should he have cross checked, no. But should the other guy have punched him in the back of the head first, again no.

Yockey said it best about Nate; "It's some one who knows better taking advantage of a new team."

And on the note of the guy who had the shot with four seconds left, he has gotten endless amounts of crap about that since then, in fact I made fun of him for that last night. We dedicated the song "I Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty to him after the game for that move. He swears he didn't know how much time was left.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the privateers have any room to complain about a forfeit. 4-1 loss to the lucky strikes last session ring any bells?

Anonymous said...

Wah??? "I don't think the privateers have any room to complain about a forfeit. 4-1 loss to the lucky strikes last session ring any bells?" Details?

Anonymous said...

Could the last comment posted be the goalie of the Lucky Strikes? Mystery once again.....

Come on guys, if you are going to talk, stand by your words and put your name or nickname, maybe even a number. Don't just be "anonymous" we like to discuss, with class of course and know who's saying what. Then again, when I call people "pussy farts" isn't that full of class?

The Sniper's goalie that night did a very fine job. Being at a wedding before the game, I missed out on the ice action. The Privateers aren't here to cause problems, but come on, when someone looks as good as us, and plays as well as us, aren't problems going to ensue?

All teams are unique, and we are certainly here to have fun and enjoy competition. Thank the Sniper that skated over to the bench and told our team "play however hard you want, its a forfeit now....." Just remember next time you challenge a Privateer, they "Won't Back Down" not even 4 seconds left in the game....

The snipers goalie did an amazing job, clap for him, or his team mates should buy him a round or something.

Sometimes we also all forget that one player doesn't speak for the whole team. As one player is being rough and throwing one of our team mates around, whether that team mate be related or not, we will stand up for them, as would any team. If a Payne gets knocked down because of a little roughing, one of us might get a little hot headed and bring pain, it happens.

I love hockey and I haven't met one person from another team that I just can't stand. There is only one guy who I can't stand at all, and he doesn't even play at Euless.

Ellis- I hope your losing streak continues, I will see you this Saturday. I am the guy in the wedding suit that you talked to off the ice. We are all anticipating this showdown between the Privateers and the Patriots. This should be an awesome way to end the season and a great all around game. I hope you eat your Wheaties that day. You will need them ;)

Bob-o #13- Privateers

Anonymous said...

Old Duncaville crap. Blubaugh played a game for the Lucky Strikes out there, handed us our asses by stopping a bunch of shots, and everyone was cool. None of us complained or asked for a forfeit, but the coordinator in an attempt to regulate that clusterfuck of a league said they were going to have to forfeit because Blubaugh had played C league. He did the same thing when we tried to have Mike Redmon sub for me one day. I don't even blame them for pulling in a C league goalie because it's not like Pfiffer would have even gotten back to them in time to approve or disapprove. And it was never even changed on point streak, so it didn't affect either team's record. So I have absolutely no clue why we're talking about it.
As for Nate; sorry dude. Yockey seemed to be pretty in the dark about the whole situation when we talked to him after the game so I assumed you decided to get out of there and avoid all the drama. Oh, and Mike actually is on our roster, since we played with him last year and we are very sneakily trying to steal him from the blue devils. Offers of free beer haven't worked, we'll have to scale up our efforts.

Anonymous said...

bob-o too bad Ellis will conveniently not be there Saturday? Maybe he is scared? It’s ok he will brag about the point that he beat you before when he was playing for the Brew…

Antoine D'Aubernoun said...

Hey, he was great that night. He ought to be proud of that. As for clinging to one past victory when you're mired in suck...don't you think I cherish my three or so career goals? ;-)

Randy...
Privateers, #8

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my b for scoring a goal in the last 4 seconds. While half of me was undoubtedly being consumed by Tom Petty lyrics, I couldn't stand the thought of not capitalizing on a great pass in the slot by "little payne."

Anonymous said...

First off, I didn't make that comment. I have no problem claiming my trash talking because I can back it up.

Second, I've never played C-league. I've played half a season in D-league, but the past year has been mainly I-league. I did well that game because I had just come from my D-league game in euless so I was pretty warmed up.

And Ed, thanks for remembering to drop off my pads this time.

Anonymous said...

Blubaugh in C League.....maybe if he was a few years younger and a few pounds lighter......maybe. But as he said he has never played.

The reason that things get out of hand is that the refs really aren't great. In fact over half of them are horrible. They spend time flirting with girls, chatting with folks they know, etc. Then they let things go here and there or miss something. At that point people get pissed.

-Anonymous and bite me if you don't like it

Antoine D'Aubernoun said...

::chomp::

Tastes like chicken.

Randy...
Privateers, #8

Anonymous said...

My bad. Maybe he said D. Or maybe Pfiffer doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Chances are about 50/50.

Anonymous said...

Hey Blubaugh, I always known you as a I-League goalie and one of the best in the I-League. Try not to let the past comments bother you. Keep your cool cause you are going to need it for this Saturday. I plan to score on your ass.

Anonymous said...

Blubaugh, a C-league goalie.....dream on. What kind of league is this where people are pissy that Nate played, come on now.

Anonymous said...

I find it awesome how the Privateers cause a lot of drama. Don't you wish you could be on this team stirring it up? Of course you do.

Damn, Ellis won't be at the Patriots game this weekend?! What kind of father does he think he is?! A true dad would play for the Pats this weekend.... This is a Saturday night hockey disaster. My heart is forever saddened. I was looking forward to the showdown.

If everyone is complaining about high points, shut outs, etc. why are they playing competitive sports? They would have a much lower risk of heart failure watching the games from the bench seats. I hear you get a really nice view and you don't have the stress of crying after the game. Also, no need to worry about shaking a hand and telling the other team good game. God knows thats so very stressful.

For the record, Duncanville is old news. We are here to make an impression on Euless. You only get one chance to make a first impression. You have to ask yourself, How are these Privateers doing at a first impression?
You certainly won't forget us anytime soon....
We set sail, blast away, and sink all of your hockey dreams. We take the booty for our pleasure and are never satisfied. It doesn't matter if we win by one point or by eight, a win is a win. However, we honor those we defeat with a friendly handshake and ask that they join us upstairs for some wobble water. Sweet dreams my fellow I-Leaguers, the battle for the frozen ocean is upon us all.

Anonymous said...

"I plan to score on your ass"

Stone Cold - c'mon we know you can't score on the ice so are you talking about man rape in the shower?

Geaux Saints

Anonymous said...

Marky Mark,

You finally crawled out from under the rock after several months. Just remember the Cowboys rule and your New Orleans Aints sucks!

Blog Alternate Captain said...

The Privateers Theme song/music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v61sBTr7P-w&feature=related

Anonymous said...

For those of you new to the blog. Marky Mark and I were old teammates on the Komets 2 yrs ago. We often trash talk on the blog for fun.

Mark is a dumb ragin cajun from Louisanna who loads his sparetire with crawfish & gumbo. He tries to score a hat trick all in one time by throwing his fatass into the net. Unfortunitly fatboys don't count as goals.

He now lives in Colorado and has just lowered that states IQ.

So Mark, you asked for it. And don't holler at me til football season starts.

Peace!

Antoine D'Aubernoun said...

That video was a closely guarded team secret. One friggin' period playing with us and almost getting us kicked out of Euless forever did NOT entitle you to share the secret! Shame on you! Now ninja pirates in machine masks with shovels tied to their crotches are going to make you walk the plank, so to speak.

Randy...
Privateers, #8

Anonymous said...

One last comment on all the drama from someone who saw the entire game from upstairs. The non calls weren't exclusive to that game but to 2 games BEFORE it as well. This was a hot topic upstairs and everyone I talked to agreed one game is a discrepancy but 3 in a row is a pattern. They just didn't look like they wanted to be there. Plus everyone upstairs didn't think much of Nate playing but the fact was that in order to fill out the roster the Snipers had to bring in 4 subs from the Brewzers who had just played a hard fought game. What does all this add up to? A team that got tired but gave its all for the first 5 minutes and then just ran out of gas with refs that didn't help either side. And before you ask, I do not play in this league and am not affiliated with any team that played on the ice that night. Just really like the blog and thought an impartial view would be nice.

Anonymous said...

Are the standings anywhere on this site?
Puckers-Gregory #22

Anonymous said...

I must be out of the loops here. Forget Nate, the Snipers, and the rest of the news, but when did ninjas become pirates? Even more so, where can I learn to dig a hole with a shovel tied to my crotch like that ninja?
A little help on this matter would be nice as I am frantically trying to answer my questions.
P.S. HAHA on the cajun comment. My relatives are cajun and they carry an emergency stock of gumbo incase the world comes to an end.