Sunday, February 17, 2008

Controversy Abounds in Week Four

A couple of teams elect to play some very lopsided games. One reveals the mortality of Patrick Donaghue. Blubaugh continues an impressive streak. And one game never happened (according to pointstreak). I was out of town, I saw nothing, please bear that in mind.

Players of the week:
1. Jeff Thomas 2 goals
2. Nicholle Palomar 2 goals
3. Butch Hutchinson 3 assists

Goalie of the week:
David Blubaugh shut-out (again) 26 shots


Patriots 7, Snipers 0

A cratering Sniper platoon turns in 2 shots on goal in this game (last week only 8) and for some reason the Pats just kept scoring, Possibly the only saving grace for this offensive output is the fact that 2 of the 7 scores are the first career goals for Steve Benefield and Troy Ramsey. The Army of the Twelve Monkeys defended their performance against the Snipers with the same argument, and I do think it is a valid one. Now Rahul Sharma and Brian Brookman did score in this contest and that is suspicious, but it was early. I only wish I could have witnessed this one to make a truer decision on the play of the game. Unfortunately, the Sniper's tailspin is a difficult one to right. Shots are down, Goaltending is losing confidence (Murphee has shown flashes of brilliance in past sessions), and any positive forward movement is needed sooner rather than later. The Grave Diggers loom next week, then the Puckers, then the Iceholes. Any one of these games could be the first win for the Snipe but if they don't get at least one, it could mean the end of a veteran team. Congrats to the venerable Doug Taylor for stopping both of those shots (woopty-doo, I hope you didn't break a sweat).

Iceholes 3, Warriors 1

An intense game, and a clean one. The Iceholes started off the scoring with Mark Dunning in the first. Nicholle Palomar (hot off her game winning shoot-out goal last week) doubles the lead in the second. The Warriors have been plagued by a late developing offense in all of their games so far, but this time their talent does not overwhelm in the final frame, only one goal makes it in for the Warriors. Nicholle puts in one more to ice the game. Pointstreak doesn't note it as an empty netter but it would make sense for it to be, I'm not downplaying the skills of the great Nicholle Palomar. Unsure who actually tended goal for the first Warriors loss (it wasn't me), but I could certainly see this happening even to Bobby, the Warrior's net is some slow play, not a great place to stay on top of your game. I can't recall the Iceholes scoring this many goals in regulation in a long time, if they keep this up they will be a contender for the keg.

Army of the Twelve Monkeys 7, Puckers 0

Okay, okay I know it happened again. I really hate to say it but my biggest complaint about last week's ATM game was the Travis Lehr hat trick. This week Travis did score twice but it was early, then the puck, for the most part got distributed around to many low percentage scorers. Who can fault Scott Dolbee for taking a shot at the net, he never scores! It does suck to lose a game that is totally out of hand, and the trend for the Snipers and ATM are both going exactly the same as last week, which makes it harder to lay the blame solely at anyone's feet. Like Ginger told me, someone is going to have to dish it back out to these juggernauts. There are a number of ways to resolve the disparity in this league, dishing out a wallop to the Monkeys with the league the way it is would be ideal, but not likely. I have heard rumors of the long fantasized draft... Let's see just what kind of panacea Yockey has in store, and will it really work?

Komets 4, Brewzers 1

In much the same fashion as the Iceholes game the Komets score early, the Brewzers make it close, then the third sees the Komets put it away. It's great to see the Komets win another game, an underachieving bunch, they need to start demonstrating just how much talent they really have instead of coasting. This Brewzers team has an incredible issue with its self-esteem. They share a lot of members with the Snipers, they could possibly be infecting the locker room (or it could be the other way around). Goal tending is equally good on both the Snipers, and Brewzers, but the wins are just not coming. Much like the Snipers, shooting is at a premium for the Brewzers, only 6 shots on net this week. They say good things happen when you put the puck on the net, that could explain why good things ain't happenin'.

Stickmen 3, Blue Devils 0

Blubaugh is just unbelievable right now, his only competitor, Donaghue of the Puckers, finally has an average game. Jim DeBaro puts in a valiant effort but eventually succumbs to the constant BD onslaught. The first is scoreless, but Jeff Thomas puts it in for the Sticks shorthanded in the second and again (at even strength) in the third. Kevin Cook puts in the Val Kuntz assist (she's on a point streak now, maybe Blubaugh and Val are like the Clemens's? can we rule anything out?) The Sticks lead in penalties also, but Blubaugh doesn't play a part in any of them, SURPRISE!

Spiders 1, GraveDiggers 0

I have precious little on this game and Pointstreak has even less. Apparently Nina Bonifaz did not make the game, some "guy" plays instead... Boring! Shots favor the Spiders and the score ends up doing the same. I don't even know who scored for the Spiders. Man, I am terrible at my job.

Well, I will be back at the rink this coming weekend, and I can't wait to see all of you, I missed you so much. I would like to tell you guys about my marathon in Austin, leave me a comment on the board if you're interested in reading about it in my next post, or tell me to shove-it. I wouldn't want to waste anymore of your precious time.

bcIII

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

shove your marathon up your five hole!!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Blubaugh supposed to be suspended one game?

Anonymous said...

Does ginger do nothing but whine these days?

Anonymous said...

"Wasn't Blubaugh supposed to be suspended one game?"

For what?

Anonymous said...

Well when the ATM get some class, maybe the whining will stop. Is it really necessary to try your best to score with only 30 seconds left in a 7-0 game? Do you get bonuses for your stats or something? What ever happened to sportsmanship?

Anonymous said...

Hi Ginger.

Anonymous said...

Funny that post was from an "anonymous" call some one out directly. 90% of that team are upstairs afterwards, talk about it then. Why did Casey not try to play? Yall put him at forward yet doesnt really do anything? We were up for Casey attempting to get something going offensive wise for the Puckers but he kinda just was out there for public skate. Isnt that a waste of a forward position then? I mean if your team is getting skunked and you have him [which he is a good player] at forward tell him to turn it up and go... This is hockey not tiddlywinks. And this poor sportsman ship you speak of, everytime your goalie made saves [many a which were awesome] he was "way to go" or "good job", we didnt hack the crap out anyone skating along the blue line who was totally out of the play. I think the poor sportsmanship would of gone to those who dont go through the handshake line at the end of the game. Sorry to rant gotta go pick up my score sheet from getting framed because i care about stats taht much. Heart ya mucho

Mgnat said...

BCIII - thanks for the great main posts, been OOT three games running, needed the recaps. Thanks again.
mg

Anonymous said...

#38 scored for ice holes~mystery player according to pointstreak. Not #39 sorry Nicholle.

bcIII said...

that's too bad for nicholle, but still a colossal effort from a usually constipated icehole offense. we may have somethin' here!

Anonymous said...

The Pats goalie was Doug Phillips (normally one of our forwards).

Anonymous said...

Ok, i was going to refrain from saying anything. I was the one who walked off the ice after the game. Please let me set the record straight. The ATM is a very good hockey team. They have such former teammates of mine such as chuck,mindo,travis and dallas lehr. While these people are my friends off the ice I was more than upset to watch the display of bullcrap that came from their bench. 50% of the goals that were scored in our game were very nice goals and were earned. The other half where pure bullsh@#. We knew going into the game that we were going up against a team that was good. The only thing that we didn't know was that one or two guys would try to split the defenseman everytime and not pass the puck. That and that only is what made me have poor sportsmanship. I was already over the top with TRAVIS and DALLAS lehr trying to score that game seven goal with a few seconds left. Who is your coach bill Belichick? There is nothing that I have to prove by trying to have my team win by me playing lights out. I would rather someone else score goals and see the look on their face. Those are the moments that make me love the game, not me leading a damn INSTRUCTIONAL league in goals,assists, or points. TO the ATM I say for the most part nice game but I will not shake hands with bitches who try to run the score up. It make me sick, the same feeling that I had when I watched Tom Brady and the pats run the score up. Karma is a bitch and some idiot is going to hurt one of you guys just being stupid and you guys are going to be saying that you are the victims. Nope, be humble, you have a good team. Continue to play hard, play good but let up and show some class sometimes. Running the score up does nothing but fuel stupidity for some jerk to take a run at one of you guys and really hurt someone. When you are up by alot just pass more,dump it in, move people around. Then if you still score than no one can blame you for being jerks. I wouldn't. But for now I really didn't enjoy saturday for the first time in 5 years and when we play you again I PROMISE IT WILL BE DIFFERENT. And until you show class I will not give you any. I have never and hate people who do not shake hands, so for me to be a hipocrit that must tell you how mad I was.

Casey Jenkins

Anonymous said...

maybe the problem with this league is that guys like sharma, lehr, jenkins, "kay bailey" hutchinson, thomas, et al, have been playing i-league for, oh, i don't know, FIVE YEARS. HELL-OOOOO, McFly!

look, they're all nice guys. (well, maybe not kay bailey) but, hell, casey plays a- and b- competition sometimes. he needs to coach i-league, not play.

don't you folks think you need to move on? seriously. in some cases, your team's d-league squad could really use your help. if you need the fellowship of saturday nights, volunteer to coach a team. yockey will love you, and you'll get discount hockey. and all this bad karma will cease. i graduated from i league when i realized it wasn't helping me get any better. that's the standard for moving on, imho. or, it should be.

what yockey needs to do -- but what he will never do -- is to qualify players for i-league and d-league and even c. have a tryout game. rate every player. it's done at other rinks. it doesn't erase all complaints but it will get rid of guys who stick out like a sore thumb. at the least, it will get rid of 7-0 games that make guys want to leave the ice without shaking hands. that's a pathetic gesture, by the way.

but that's more work than yockey is willing to put in, or more than he feels they're paying him to do. and, isn't that really the problem?

THE GRADUATE

ps. bcIII, tell us about the marathon.

Anonymous said...

Grad,
While you make very many valid points, I would like to help you out. I have been playing for about six years. I stop playing i league long time ago. I returned to play goalie due to the fact that ours was not showing up when I coached the puckers. I borrowed some pads and have been a goalie ever since. Ask Steven Frye about my first games. It was so fun to be a rookie again. I had to learn another position. I have played in a handful of games in the last several years. Most of the time to help coach some of the guys and gals on the team not to do anything else, most of the time not even crossing the red line(ask Sarah Bucker) from the snipers. I love to coach but, reffing, Driving the zam at the AAC, and coaching travel hockey I can't make that effort to be at every game. I started to play this season due to one of our teammates lost his mom about three weeks ago and I skated on his line to keep his mind off of his mom. We won that game and he was so happy. He had an assist and we toasted a shot to his mom. The second game was last week when I was asked to play against a stacked team. We got slaughtered anyway. My point is you are very right. I would love to see the people who just bought their gear and want to try the sport out. I have no problem with people who stay in I league as long as they are not just here because they can only play on this night. I have moved on but, also want to keep this league pure and fun and if that takes me playing so people talk crap about me so be it. I have nothing to prove but, want to get guys like me out of the league. I don't enjoy playing I leauge but got really tired of watching from the bar players who don't belong and nothing being done. I am up for action as long as it is fair for every team. I have coached many I league teams in two rinks so I know what it is like. You have to earn RESPECT, I don't just give RESPECT, so NO hand shake for class less PRICKS.

Casey J

Anonymous said...

Okay...who had 4 weeks in the over/under for "ringer" talk?
Claim your prize now...

If anyone will bother and check the blog from the past 5 seasons or so, it is this topic that dominates throughout the season, as it will next season and the season after that.

If you are new to all of this,I'll save you the trouble.

1. Some people think other people shouldnt play in this league due to their skill level. They certainly have a right to think that way...in fact, its guaranteed in our Constitution, at least until Hillary takes over..
2. As long as DPSC operates on a cash basis, every players money will be deemed "good". In other words, if you pay, you can play--regardless of your so called talent level. And thats also guaranteed under our Constitution
3. Contrary to popular belief, some guys play on Saturday nights because its more convenient for their schedules--not because they feel the need to dominate.
4. And yes, there are some players (and goalies) who feel the need to flaunt their talents on Saturday night so their egos can be glorified. And yes, a few of them are pr*cks (but not kay bailey--trust me, he's a good guy)

5. Edicts 1 through 4 will NEVER change regardless of the bitching, moaning, etc.

Bottom line (and I, too, have had to learn and accept this over the years) is play the game to the best of your abilities, try to improve and learn from others who may be better (or worse) than you and HAVE FUN. The sun will come up on Sunday morning, win or lose. And remember if you can read a book, buy a book and play hockey (at any level) you are better off than 99% of the people in the free world.

"Lets move on to something thats more interesting, if, in fact, there is anything..."

Anonymous said...

Let's go back to the gold and silver divisions.

Ginger can play in bronze.